Reference No. JA-SS-027
Reference Number: JA-SS-027
The main purpose of this position is to provide leadership and strategic direction to the Industry Technical Support (ITS) Division in providing technical advice and/or support to frontline supervisors with regard to the application and interpretation of prudential legislation and applicable standards, particularly in relation to regulatory capital, accounting and auditing standards. This includes analysis of industry data, other relevant guidance and the assessment of various applications to promote the consistent treatment of all prudential matters across the industries that the Prudential Authority (PA) regulates and supervises, with the main goal of promoting safe and sound regulated financial institutions. The role cuts across banking, insurance and financial market infrastructures (FMIs). The role reports into the Head: Policy, Statistics and Industry Support Department.
Strategic and technical matters
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction for the work of the ITS Division, develop functional plans aligned to the PA and departmental strategy and clarify performance expectations for staff.
- Manage the delivery of work objectives through resource utilisation, setting of targets, prioritisation of work and performance of other activities, including:
- ensuring that the ITS Division delivers high-quality support and advice to the PA and relevant departments within the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) on the interpretation and application of the primary legislation, subordinated legislation and other relevant information that include, but are not limited to, directives, circulars and guidance notes, across the banking, insurance and FMIs.
- influencing and providing input to various PA governance structures on matters related to regulatory capital as well as accounting and auditing.
- providing input into, and collaborating with PA departments on all matters addressed in the PA decision-making framework; and
- engaging with external stakeholders, mostly regulated institutions and professional industry bodies and industry associations (e.g. The Banking Association South Africa (BASA), South African Insurance Association (SAIA), Association for Savings and Investment South Africa (ASISA), Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA), South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA), Actuarial Society of South Africa, and so on), as required to explain the interpretation of prudential legislation, standards, regulations, rules, notices, directives, circulars, guidance and to elucidate on decisions taken and approved by the PA.
- Ensure compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements of the SARB and ensure that divisional risks are identified, assessed and that adequate and effective risk mitigating measures are implemented.
- Ensure that the internal audit findings are addressed adequality and timeously.
- Lead change, which includes creating and maintaining a culture supportive of the SARB’s values and promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Manage the performance and development of direct reports, create a performance and innovation culture and promote and support career development within the division.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- At least a post-graduate degree in Economics, Accounting, Actuarial Science, Finance, Law or any other relevant qualification.
- a minimum of 10–12 years’ experience in the financial sector, regulatory environment or auditing, with at least five years in a managerial role; and
- Chartered Accountant South Africa (CA(SA)) or equivalent qualification would be an added advantage.
Additional requirements are as follows:
- knowledge in:
- prudential supervision, regulation, and legislation.
- the financial sector.
- accounting and auditing.
- financial markets and instruments.
- relevant policies and procedures.
- research methodologies.
- report writing, and
- skills in and attributes such as:
- thought leadership.
- planning and organising `.
- verbal and written communication; and
- interpersonal relations.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to email@example.com
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
CA Finance – Banking, Insurance, Legal and Finance
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.