Reference No. BRJA06
As an Assistant Investment Manager, you will assist the investment team across each stage of the investment process, for each of FEDA’s funds strategies but with a focus on its Pan-African Venture Fund strategy ($25 million under management targeting startups and SMEs). You will be responsible for assessing potential investments, conducting financial analysis, supporting deal structuring and negotiation, performing due diligence, and monitoring portfolio performance etc. You will also work closely with cross-functional teams to assist in the preparation of operational and administrative documentation pertaining to the Venture Fund, in addition to conceptual papers for innovative projects. The ideal candidate possesses robust analytical skills, a profound understanding of the VC landscape in Africa, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Assist the investment team throughout each stage of the investment cycle, including deal origination, potential investment evaluation, attending investment committees, Board or internal presentations, managing portfolio companies, strategizing exits, and participating in fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the investment manager in assessing risks, opportunities, and potential merits of proposed venture investments.
- Undertake comprehensive financial analysis, modeling, and valuation to evaluate potential venture opportunities and perform portfolio assessments.
- Support the deal structuring process by analyzing investment terms, preparing term sheets and investment memos, and participating in negotiations. Coordinate deal execution meetings and actively follow-up on the implementation of key decisions.
- Conduct due diligence on potential ventures, including engagement with company leadership, industry trend analysis, understanding competitive landscapes, and evaluating financial performance. Support the Investment Manager in coordinating due diligence advisors, play an active role in reviewing their deliverables and presenting it to FEDA’s management and its investment and strategy committee.
- Support the Investment Manager in devising, implementing, and monitoring value-creation plans for portfolio companies.
- Assess the performance of venture portfolio companies, identify vital performance metrics, and suggest areas of enhancement.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly investment reports for FEDA’ stakeholders (Executive Management, Board, Investors etc.)
- Stay informed about market trends, regulatory amendments, and economic factors influencing the VC space.
- Support fundraising activities and partaking in investor dialogues for portfolio companies.
- Execute other responsibilities as assigned by management.
Requirements: Skills and Competencies
- Analytical Thinking: Ability to dissect complex financial information, identify key trends and insights, and draw logical conclusions.
- Financial Modeling: Proficient in building and utilizing financial models to assess venture investment opportunities, forecast financial performance, value an investment, and evaluate risk.
- Research and Due Diligence: Skilled in conducting comprehensive research, analyzing market trends, and performing due diligence on potential investments.
- Attention to Detail: Strong focus on accuracy and precision in financial analysis, data interpretation, and report preparation.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with the ability to effectively articulate investment recommendations and complex financial concepts.
- Adaptability: Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, managing multiple projects and priorities effectively with strong work ethic.
- Teamwork: Collaborative mindset, excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively within a team and across departments.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, banking, engineering, sciences, or a related field with a strong academic performance. An MBA/MSc in finance, economics, accounting or banking will be an added advantage
- Minimum 5 years of work experience, 3 of which in investment banking, venture capital, private equity, or a similar financial role is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of financial analysis techniques, valuation methodologies, and investment principles.
- Proficient in financial modeling, Excel, and other relevant analytical tools.
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, with the ability to analyze and interpret complex financial data.
- Familiarity with legal and regulatory frameworks governing private equity investments.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy in financial analysis and reporting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with professionals from diverse backgrounds.
- Willing and able to relocate to Rwanda and open to further relocation later if required.
- Suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to Jamie Adams at email@example.com
Please visit www.caglobalint.com for more exciting opportunities.
Banking & Finance
CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.